Saturday, September 5, 2009

Bangladeshi player :Tamim's somersault!



TAMIM IQBALSports Reporter

The season's transfer market for the upcoming Premier Division Cricket League has been stirred up by the high demands of some of the national players. The chief attraction for this year's transfer market was none other than star Bangladesh all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan, who not only signed a record deal with champions Abahani but also paved the way for some of his colleagues to up their price tags.

But it is the dashing opener of the national team Tamim Iqbal who has added new spice to the already heated up market as he has changed his mind suddenly to join the Mohammedan tent from their bitter rivals Abahani which will without a doubt bring the country's two popular clubs on a course of collision. And the reason for this is simple; a better offer from the Motijheel outfit.

Mohammedan may have been a bit late in making their attempt to net the big fish but they have definitely served a huge jolt to their archrivals and made a bold statement that they are all set to put aside their disappointment of the last few seasons.

The move has already caused a sharp reaction in the Abahani tent as they believe that it would totally be unethical for the left-hander to drive back from his commitment.

"It's really shocking. He [Tamim] has verbally confirmed us [Abahani] after we fulfilled his demand, but suddenly he demanded more. What he told us was that he got a better offer and can only continue with Abahani if we fulfil his demand which is unacceptable," fumed Abahani's cricket committee vice-chairman Jalal Yunus.

"There is a question of morality. We think he has set a very bad example for our cricket. Anyway we have already made up for his loss by confirming Imrul Kayes," he added.

Tamim however gave a different explanation regarding the controversy and said that the treatment he got from an Abahani official was unfortunate.

"What is for sure is that I will sign for Mohammedan tomorrow, but I have not changed my mind only because of money," was the confirmation from the left-hander about joining the Motijheel outfit.

"I want to clarify my position regarding the issue. Yes, it's true that verbally I agreed with Abahani. And I was prepared to keep my commitment but during my visit to Malaysia, I got a phone call from a Mohammedan official who offered me one lakh taka more than the amount Abahani had offered.

"What I thought was that there was no point of changing mind for this small sum of money. But they increased the amount and there is a big difference between Tk 15 lakh and 18 lakh. After returning home I contacted an Abahani official and told him politely that I have got a better offer and if you have any scope to increase the amount please do. I can't see what's wrong with that," explained Tamim to this correspondent over phone yesterday.

"We are professional players and there is nothing wrong if someone bargains over his payment. But it was really unfortunate the way one of Abahani's officials reacted in this matter," complained Tamim.

"But I definitely want to play for Abahani in the future because they are my favourite club and I have fond memories of the club when I went there with my uncle [Akram Khan] at my early age," he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment